2011-11-21

Favorite Google Calendar Function

I am hooked on Google Calendar (GC), and here are a few reasons why.

I have found a way to not bother with the built in calendar of my dumb phone. I take advantage of email and the unlimited SMS text messages that my modest phone plan has.

I have set up GC to automatically create reminders for me which send me emails and text messages on my cell phone. I have it set to send me a email one day in advance (in case I have something early in the morning the next day, wouldn't want to sleep in and miss it) and to send me a text message two hours before the event, giving me enough time to wrap up whatever I'm doing, travel to my destination etc. This is just a default whenever I create a new event, it's easily adjusted whenever I create a new event.

The other thing I really like about Google Calendar is how robust it is about repetitive events. For example, Thanksgiving (TG) is fast approaching, Google is kind enough not to make assumptions and add holidays to calendars for it's diverse and global consumers, appropriate I'd say. So lets add TG  ourselves, feel free to substitute for a holiday of significance to you.

According to Wikipedia, TG happens every 4th Thursday in November.

On first thought you might select repeats > yearly but that won't give us the desired effect, TG is not on the same numerical day of November each year, sometimes it will be the 24th, others the 25th, so this will not work as a set it and leave it solution.

The trick is to select repeats > monthly (12 months) > day of the week. Read the Summary to be sure you're getting what you want. Mine says "Summary:Every 12 months on the fourth Thursday." Ditto.

No comments: